Tuesday, February 15, 2011

hot like mexico

With healthy eating unfortunately comes healthy cooking. I don't particularly enjoy being in the kitchen, unless its to bake some treats.  One of my specialities is super yummy chicken and black bean quesadillas. I'm going to outline the basic recipe, but you can add in veggies or substitute another protein of choice.

Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas
makes 5 servings

1 lg chicken breast
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp taco seasoning

Cook one large chicken breast and shred into small pieces. I cook mine in a pan with a little spray of non-fat cooking spray. Add the shredded chicken back to the pan, and add 1 tbsp of taco seasoning, 1/4 cup of water and the black beans (drained). Heat over low to medium heat and stir until combined and beans are heated throughout.

Great things to add to the base: 2/3 of a cup of frozen corn or 1 medium red pepper sliced.

The best part of these quesadillas are the AMAZING tortillas I use:

These babies have a whopping 12 grams of fiber, and only 80 calories each. And they're HUGE! And absolutely perfect to keep a ton of beans and chicken in!

In a pan with non-fat cooking spray, I place one tortilla in the pan. I add a thin layer of cheese to half the tortilla, and top it with my chicken/bean mixture. On top I add a bit more cheese. I let it sit for a few minutes on a super low flame. Then I cover the mixture with the other side of the tortilla, and carefully flip it over. I let it sit for a few more minutes until both sides are browned, and the cheese is melted.


I did an approximate calorie and fiber count for these babies - one quesadilla with 1/4 of low fat cheese, and they come in at 345 calories, and 16 grams of fiber! So delish, and so fulfilling. You can easily add more veggies to the mix, and stretch the servings even further. This is not only yummy and low cal, but it makes one large chicken breast last for at least 5 servings!


I especially like this recipe because I can cook the chicken and beans with the seasoning one night, and throw it in the fridge, and just whip up a quesadilla in about 10 minutes on a late night. I'm all about quick and easy during the week (that's what she said).

What are your easy weeknight dinners?

1 comment:

  1. mmm i love black beans. sometimes i just want to eat black beans and corn!

    ReplyDelete